RED GLASS by Laura Resau

Often the best part of researching literary agents is discovering an author (and book) I may not have otherwise. Not that the agents themselves aren’t interesting in their own right, of course, but the books they represent often tell (or should I say show) more about who they are as agents than any web-interview can.

My most recent find: Laura Resau’s novel, RED GLASS. I knew I was in for a great read when the first page described the dryness of the desert so well I needed to pause for a glass of lemonade before turning the page.

Now I could go on to write the usual book blurb review. Tell you about Sophie, the phobic, self proclaimed amoeba, teen girl who travels from the US to Mexico, where the germs she fears party in the streets and on dinner plates, where soft hands are scoffed at, and where Sophie finds real dangers (loss, love, guns, gangs and . . . yes, red glass), causing her to wonder if her imagined fears are a waste of living. I could tell you how Sophie’s love and possible loss of five year old Pablo and teen-hunk Angel challenges her to step out of the oversized clothes she hides behind, and question what Sophie la Fuerte (the strong) could do.

I could, (okay I did) but I also want to applaud the exceptionally developed secondary characters that left permanent imprints on my heart. As writers we strive to develop multi-layered protagonists readers will care about, of course, but it’s the secondary characters that make a good solid story a fuller, richer one.

What would THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN be without Reepicheep, or THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY without Constance? Sure, they'd still be good, but would they be as memorable? For RED GLASS, there would be less humor and heart without Nola and Zida in the mix. These two characters still bring a smile to my face weeks after finishing the book.

In addition, Laura Resau’s beautiful portrayal of Mexico, its people, their customs, and the way they contrast with those in the US, gave me much to ponder. How is quality of life defined? What is needed to have a good life? How do the answers differ from culture to culture? What is sacrificed in the pursuit of a perceived better life?

Go on, hurry up and read the book, and then come back and tell me who you think has a better life, Abuelita and Nola, or Sophie and Zida?

Click here to visit Laura Resau’s blog and learn about her newest book, THE INDIGO NOTEBOOK.

11 comments:

  1. Gosh, what a great book review, Paula. You find these books I've never heard of and tell me just enough to hook me! Can't wait to dig into this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read. I'm going to pop over to her site and check it out.

    Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ron, Kiki, and Donna for coming by my blog. I hope you do read the book, it is AWESOME.

    Another review coming soon for, A TASTE FOR RED, by Lewis Harris. The voice, seriously, has me LOL.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great book! I may have to check it out.

    I, too, have found some really good books while trying to figure out particular agents' tastes. I've also read a few books just because the authors were repped by agents whose tastes I like--it makes some reads feel like safe bets. ;)

    I like your blog. Thanks for the visit and the follow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, it does work both ways. And thanks for stopping by, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read Red Glass, but I have read two of Laura's other books, The Indigo Notebook and What the Moon Saw. I highly recommend both. She does a great job taking characters to new places in the world. I'm looking forward to reading Read Glass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! The Indigo Notebook looks great and is on my list of books to read. Thanks for your comments, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, here I am, missing you all at UA, and I come to your blog and find a review of a book I finished reading very recently. I also loved it. And Indigo Notebooks is good, too. But Red Glass felt more profound - to me, at least. And you are right, her secondary characters are beautifully crafted. I especially love Dina.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katia, thanks for coming by. I haven't read The Indigo Notebook, but I do enjoy her writing. Another writer brought her first book, What The Moon Saw, to VC as one of her favorites.

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments.