Writer Spotlight - Heather Hendrix

My Photo
Heather Hendrix, her so-cute son, and hubby.
 I am SO excited this week to introduce Heather Hendrix.

Hi Heather!!! Welcome!! Thanks for stepping into the spotlight. Congratulations for getting to that next stage of submission.



Here's a bit about Heather:

I am a stay at home mother to a sweet and wild little man. That’s right he is two going on twenty. My husband, son, and I live on the outer limits of a quiet ideal small town. By small, I mean the nearest sign of human life is a mere twenty minutes away. I know many would be cringing at the thought, but the peacefulness of living in the country has grown on me. It only, took ten years.I love life and humor, so I tend to write about the humorous parts of life.

1. What manuscript do you have out on submission now?

I am seeking representation for my YA Paranormal Romance, BROKEN DREAMS, complete at 83,000 words.

Love the title!!

2. Give us a short pitch.

Dreams can haunt you, but they can’t steal your soul- Unfortunately, Alana Bell’s dreams are the one place hers can be taken.
Alana is a half-blooded fallen angel, in search of her father’s murderer. Caleb is the guarded vampire, who shows interest in her, only after being insultingly rude. Though she despises him at first, she follows her heart into an intense, yet forbidden romance. Their friends and family warn them, as Alana’s dreams suddenly deteriorate. She soon discovers the ones closest to her deceived her, leaving her alone to face her worst nightmare. The guardians, a powerful force of fallen angels, who knew she had broken the rules. They sentence Alana to life as a mortal, with no recollections of Caleb’s existence. She agrees, of course, and looks to her friend Will for help. He knows her past- together they dive into danger, and buried secrets- to help Alana regain her memories. But, there is one thing they couldn’t erase-her unnerving nightmares-that leave her wondering, if she will survive the emptiness that consumes her heart.

WOW, sounds awesome! She forgets Caleb!!! That's a perfect example of doing what E. Lockhart advised in a conference I attended at VC: What's the worst thing that can happen to your characters. You certainly do a nice job of that here.


3. Would you care to share the opening line or paragraph?


Yes, I would love to share the first paragraph.
My mind went back to that night- the night my father was murdered. Their eyes were terrifying—I couldn’t make out their faces. I only heard the fierce hissing from a distance. Soon, everything was on fire. The burning was horrendous. No! It couldn’t end like this, not without understanding why. The sound of his voice echoed in my thoughts. It was just a whisper, an unfamiliar tune floating along the breeze. I saw a faint light, a flickering flame, like the flare off a candle. It went out suddenly, and there was nothing...


I woke up startled, gasping for air. Everything was beginning to look normal as I adjusted myself. My gaze met the alarm clock, September 1st, great it was just another nightmare. I straighten back on the pillows, unwilling to get out of bed.


YIKES, glad my nightmares involve waking up without a sufficient supply of coffee. Though that is bad enough, thank you very much. Nice opening, Heather!!!


4. How would your main character describe you? If you entered into a scene in your manuscript, how would you be introduced, how would the MC perceive you? Give us a short scene but keep it under 250 words : )

I wandered into the library, frantic, unsure of what I would find. The aisles were narrow and well covered. The silence made me eager to end my search. I quickly ran my fingers along the spines. The sound of paper swiftly cutting into the air deterred me from my pursuit. When I approached the end of the aisle, I noticed a girl sitting in the corner, lost in some classic romance. She was rather comfortable for someone in solitude. I watched as she peeked from the corner of the worn page, assessing me with curiosity. Her wild ebony hair and pale skin, resembled sleep deprivation at its worst. She subtly turned the page with finesse. Her child-like eyes danced elatedly, once she reemerged into the story. Clearly, she had been here before.


Ahhh, nice job. Love it!


5. What is your least and most favorite word? Use each in a sentence, writing in the voice of one of your characters from any of your manuscripts.


My least favorite word is particularly. “It’s not that I’m particularly against running, I just don’t understand why we can’t drive.”
One of my favorite words is phantasmagoria. “I could make out the phantasmagoria of the building, through the sheets of rain.”
Cool!! I may just add that one to my list of words I like : )


6. What are you working on while you wait?

While I am not building towers made of Lego’s, or forts out of couch cushions, I am fixated on writing. I am writing on my blog weekly, have a monthly column with Turquoise Angels, and I am working on the sequel to my first novel. Other than that, I am finishing my last two classes in Medical Coding, YAY! I also send queries whenever I have a chance to research agents in my genre.


Yes, I do remember those couch cushion forts. So fun, until you have to try and fit inside with them for a picnic : )


7. What book have you read in the past six mo that’s inspired you and why?


I have read, Saving Graces, by Elizabeth Edwards. I find this book to be one of my favorites. I just keep coming back to it. There are is many uplifting and encouraging topics in this book. I cried and I laughed, sometimes I found myself doing both simultaneously. Reading this book has inspired me to take a step back and be thankful for what I have. We never know what tomorrow holds, so love the ones around you with all you have.

Interesting, and so true.

8. Do you have a literary-character crush?

I would have to go with Peeta from the Hunger Games or Gale…not sure on this one. Can I flip a coin?

How about I take Peeta and you can have Gale? : )

9. Any random fun-facts you’d like to share about yourself?

I am sort of a connoisseur of coffee, taking it seriously with cream and sugar. I read to my little man every night, he loves story time (Goodnight Moon). I have also been known to rock out on Guitar Hero occasionally.
Haha, I've tried Guitar Hero and always get booed!! Not that that stops me : )


Heather, it's been SO great getting to know you and your work, and to meet a fellow coffee connoisseur. Check out Heather's blog. She has COFFEE there, so go join her for a cup while you peruse her wonderful posts that are full of humor and inspiration.


Best of luck with your search. I hope BROKEN DREAMS makes all your dreams (the good ones) come true. Please let us know when you get that agent/editor call so we can join in the celebration!!!

5 comments:

  1. So I just HAD to try and fix the post and eliminate the extra space and somehow the whole post got jumbled. Question one was at the bottom, oy, it was a mess. Soooo, I had to delete it and repost which means the comments were lost. Here is what was posted for Heather.

    Melody Valadz said: Great to hear about BROKEN DREAMS, Heather! I love the aspect of her forgetting about Caleb...so romantic and definitely makes the stakes higher. :)

    Natalie Aquirre said:Heather, I love the title. And it sounds good from the pitch. Good luck with querying it. And I'm a coffee person too.


    Then I said: Yay, another coffee lover. Yes, it is a great title, isn't it? Thanks Melody and Natalie for stopping by.

    And Heather said: Melody and Natalie, thanks for the support, and wonderful comments. I'm so excited that Paula shared the spotlight with me. Yay! :)

    So I said: It was my pleasure, Heather. Thank you.

    PHEW. So what do you say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BROKEN DREAMS sounds very intriguing! The whole forgotten memories and being banished to the mortal world sounds like a real page-turner! Good luck with your queries and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting premise! Good luck querying, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kiki and Nandini for the support, and nice comments. I will keep everyone posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to meet you, Heather! Wonderful interview!!!
    I love your paragraph about how your mc would find you!

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments.