Jay Asher: Laughs and Inspiration


Tonight I had the pleasure of hearing Jay Asher speak at RJ Julia Booksellers in Madison, CT, author of the best selling YA novel THRITEEN REASONS WHY.

Besides finding Jay far from depressing and darn dry-witted, I learned his writing career began with a review of Vanilla Ice (Ice baby), his first kiss tasted like hotdogs and mayo (uh-yuk), and if in need of a creative jolt one might try visiting Las Vegas where his idea for Hannah’s tapes originated.

Wit aside, the story of his road to publication was fraught with highs and lows, but his steadfast perseverance and dedication to his love for writing (along with a few tears of encouragement from his wife and a bit of praise from his mom) are some of his reasons for never giving up on his dream.

“Everything affects everything,” is the line Jay Asher writes below his signature inside his books. So I'm at my favorite cafe, which begins with an “S,” (by myself), mug raised, toasting Jay: “Thanks for your inspirational and motivational effect tonight.

Cough, cough, er—okay, people are staring at me now, better get back to writing.

To read my review of THRITEEN REASONS WHY chek out the January archives.

At least Jay takes a good pic


To read more about Jay Asher, visit his blog here.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun, inspirational evening! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How cool! I'd love to meet more authors, especially Jay Asher. Very neat. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for swinging by, ElanaJ. I'm lucky to have such a great local bookstore that attracts so many authors.

    I was so sorry I missed Sarah Prineas a few weeks ago. Scrap. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved Jay's presentation! Thanks for following First Novels Club!

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments.